Apocalypse and AI
To the extent that I can draw an analogy, there is a pretty clear pattern taking place in prophecy, and it goes something like this:
- Mark / Matthew / Paul: Second coming in one generation, new earthly kingdom of justice ASAP
- Luke: The kingdom of God is within you
- John: It’s all gone wrong, nothing is clear, we only have the word to rely on, the devil (or his father?) rules this world
- Apocalypse: It will happen and you will all suffer and die
- Origen: Most meaningful progress is after our death anyway
- Church fathers: It has already happened, the Kingdom of God has arrived etc (i.e. full preterism).
It seems we are at stage 1 of the cycle, but at some point the inevitable realisation that very little is going to happen will sink in.